Monday, March 29, 2010

March 22, 2010

Dearest Family,
Holy cow, you guys are planting stuff?!? that is crazy to me lol there is stil a lot of snow outside here. We are flirting with 0 degrees all the time, sometimes -1 sometimes +1 haha but I'm not going to lie I think that the temperature is perfect... Just throw on a coat and you are set :) Finland is So Beautiful
Well, Change call was last Saturday and we didn't get a call, so we are going to be staying together for another 6 weeks... 3 transfers together. Did any of you (dad, Ryan or Kyle) serve with a companion for 3 changes? if so tell me what it was like. haha as for war stories... maybe I will write a letter lol :)
This last week was pretty exciting, We had a meeting with R B (one of the people from the list of brother Rockhill's) He was a really really fun guy. He talked about a lot of the things they did with Layne. He talked about how Layne was a Cowboy Through and Through. He was a very nice man, his wife even had some delicious blueberry cake stuff (mustikka-piirakka) Fun Man :) We shared our spiritual thought with him, and he really enjoyed it. It sounded to me like he became less active because he feels like at Church it isn't "fun" I really think that as we teach him he will learn and remember the reason why he joined the Church. we just have to help him feel the spirit like he did back when he joined. He is an incredible man!

Also I told you about O R didn't I? well he is doing great, he has been a strong member even since he was baptized. When I talked to him and said Elder Rockhill, He was like ya! That is who baptized me. Pretty cool to see what a little world it is.

I can't remember if I said this or not last email, but I was talking with K K, one of the coolest people in the ward, about when he served in Sweden. I asked him if he knew elder Eric Merrell, He said yep. He even thinks he went splits with him a couple times. K is the man, I really wish you guys could come visit the ward here in Jyväsklyä. These people are soo incredible. haha almost too much help (actually I'm pretty sure too much help is impossible... but I wanted you all to know how amazing they are) haha

We went to a castle last wednesday in Hämelinna after a district meeting.. It was incredible haha it felt so cool being in a real castle, I took about a million pictures. I'll try and send some cool ones with next weeks email :)

Dad, how is Jeff John Doing? I love that man, when you see him tell him Hi :) Also could you get me his address, I would like to write him a letter.

Fromage that's pretty cool that you got your bee! :) Pretty funny how that timed out because just this morning I finished the book of Mormon again. *Kyle I am so glad that you told me the importance of a study journal in the MTC like wow... I'm pretty stoked about my study journal, I'll have to show you someday... It's pretty legit :)

I was reading Moroni 7 and charity was something that really stuck out to me. I guess charity is something that I just said "oh ya, charity, love your neighbor, be nice" but it is absolutely essential, I wish I could explain some of the feelings I had as I thought about how perfect and example Christ is of charity. He loved people so unconditionally. He didn't judge the wicked or cast out the lame. He helped make them whole. what an amazing example :) I love Him :) :) :)

I'm still trying to learn about pride haha and here is a good quote that president shared in my last email:
Elder Richard G. Scott. He said, “Humility is that quality that permits us to be taught from on high through the spirit or to be taught from sources whose origin was inspiration from the Lord, such as scriptures and the comments of the prophets. Humility is the precious, fertile soil of righteous character. In it, the seeds of personal growth germinate. When cultivated through the exercise of faith, pruned by repentance, and fortified by obedience and good works, such seeds produce the cherished fruit of spiritual direction.”

So to me Charity is a sign of humility. It shows that we are willing to try and follow Christ's perfect example. I know that as we try he will strengthen us and help us when we are weak . I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY :D

Well that is all I have for this week, You will probably get my letter I sent last week sometime...

I love you all and am so grateful for you support. Miracles are happening all around. just the other day we ran into a former investigator and just the perfect time. She attended church yesterday and I truly feel like God has been preparing her. I know that it was not an accident that we were there at that time and she was in that exact situation where we were able to help. God takes care of his people :) we just need to have the faith to "trust in him with all our might and lean not unto our own understanding, in all our ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy path" Pretty intense promise there! Conditional upon our faith and actions.

Love you all! I'm excited for you dad to start your new job! I know you are the man for the job... You aren't THAT old ;) hehe love ya!

Vanhin Thomas Neal Nielsen

No comments: